Did you know that you can improve your skills and knowledge on a specific subject even if you don’t hold a high school diploma that will allow you to apply to a higher learning institution? Yes, this is possible with an open university. Would you like to join one? First, understand exactly what this type of institution is.
An open university offers everyone, regardless of their qualifications, an opportunity to boost their abilities and academic knowledge so they can delve into a new career. It is the perfect institution to help you qualify for a traditional degree. Below are important facts about Open University to help you decide if it is the best option for your career development.
Reasons to join an open university
Since there are no basic academic qualifications or age limits for joining an open institution, you have no excuse for not joining one. The studies will help you to fulfill goals, such as:
- Launching a new career.
- Gaining new insight and enjoying the process of getting a higher education.
- Maintaining professional skills.
- Understanding various professional disciplines.
- A productive way to spend a gap year.
An open university is designed in such a way that you can pursue your studies while working. Most courses are online-based and can be integrated into a degree if you decide to pursue one later. In addition, the Open University organizes summer studies so it can cater to students who are engaged in full-time jobs.
Open universities in Australia
For more than 20 years Australian open universities have opened new doors for students pursuing higher education or those who are looking for professional development. Here is a list of top 12 open learning institutions in Australia that are dedicated to helping people achieve a successful academic journey:
- RMIT University
- Curtin University
- Australian Catholic University
- Swinburne University of Technology
- Griffith University
- Charles Darwin University
- University of New England
- La Trobe University
- Murdoch University
- University of South Australia
- Macquarie University
- Australian National University
Facts you should know about open universities in Australia
Before you listen to misconceptions that people hold about open universities, here are some facts you should know:
- The entry requirements are very minimal
- Since you are enrolling in an open-door academic program, you are not required to produce formal qualifications.
The main objective of them is to ensure that everyone has access to the higher education. It means you can be admitted without a secondary school certificate. There are only three conditions of entry:
- You must satisfy at least one entry requirement.
- Documents from a previous course must be produced if you want to enroll for online classes.
- A distance-learning university is not the same as the open one.
Even though the two offer online courses, their processes of study differ significantly. Distance learning has entry qualifications like those of typical admission and guarantees a degree at the end of the course.
Are you searching for the Open Universities in Australia? There are plenty of options for interesting courses. So, make an informed choice today by determining the type of institution that can enrich your skills and give you a pleasant learning journey.